Thursday, December 10, 2015

Soldiers [Excerpt]




Danny’s had a thing for his high school English teacher since he first walked into her class as a freshman, and Liza’s known it almost from the beginning.  It’s hard not to notice when a student’s developed an emotional attachment to you.   Now he’s an Army medic stationed in the Middle East and she’s recently announced she’s getting married.  One day, on an otherwise ordinary day, during an otherwise ordinary conference period between classes …

Excerpt from Soldiers, a Rebel Ink Press release:

He didn’t respond for a couple of minutes and she was about to get back to the pile of papers when he asked u have skype?
don’t think so on my work comp
2 bad would luv 2 talk
Liza hesitated.  The old reflex to be cautious in responding to him so as not to encourage his affection resurfaced but she quickly pushed it aside.
hang on  She pulled up the Start menu.  I have it
whats ur ID
don’t have one
bummer
give me a min  She entered her information to create an account.  The computer seemed to be taking longer than usual to process but eventually it finished.  ID is LDShane311
A few seconds later an odd, campy musical noise came from the computer and a small box popped up.  She clicked the camera icon.  Danny’s face looked back at her.
“Hi.”  Despite looking tired his smile was as broad and beaming as ever.
“Hey,” she replied.  “I’ve never done one of these.  Can you see me okay?”
“Yes and you look beautiful, as always.”
“Why Danny Wisniewski!  Is that any way to talk to your teacher?”  She blushed in spite of herself.
“I would never say something like that to my teacher but then he outranks me.  To a former teacher?  Well, that’s a different story.”  His grin got bigger.
“And what would Jocelyn say if she heard that?” she asked in her best accusatory tone.
“She thinks you’re beautiful, too.”
Liza felt her face get hot.  “You have to stop saying that or I’m going to turn off my camera.”
“Okay but you can’t stop me from thinking it.”
“When did you get so bold, young man?”
“Been working on being more assertive.”  Danny’s eyes were shifted slightly down.  Liza scanned her screen and realized he was looking directly at her instead of the camera.  “Anyway, thanks for letting me call.  You’re in your classroom?”
“Yes.  It’s my conference period.”
“Cool.  Nice ID, by the way.  Room 311 was always my favorite.”  Her smile, quick and girlish, proved she had to know he’d make the connection.


Available at:




No comments:

Post a Comment